Wednesday, May 10, 2006

If it releases perfectly...

I don't feel a thing. A hangup could mean a trip to the orthopedic surgery clinic. My perfectly-reliable-until-2-days-ago rope release hung up on me yesterday. I was working on my toe pass, and fell backward on a simple toe front. Christy let go in plenty of time, but the end of my trick rope caught on the ponytial holder that I use to keep my rope release from fraying. [Sorry for no pics, but the waether was threatening and I didn't want to risk bringng the dig. cam. to the lake.] Luckily, after about 1-2 seconds of loading up the line, my toe strap shot off of my foot. (Strange as it is to say this) I was lucky to have fallen backward on a toe front. In that position, if the rope loads up, The skier will most likely ride on their back for a few feet, without an akward, ligament-tearing pull. That ponytail holder immediately returned to hair duty, and I was completely unscathed.

Here is the rope release with the ponytail holder at the end

release before

To keep the release from fraying, I wrapped a small rubber band around the loose end. It should be too small to catch the trick rope when released. If it does catch, the band is so skinny that it should just break. If any elastic compunds are to break, the rubber bands are a much better option than muscles, tendons, and ligaments.

Here is my low-profile rope release

release after

I received advice on the subject in a post to skifly.com. A VERY good tricker suggested that I not put anything at the end, and just let the rope release fray out. When it frays too much, make a new rope release. I think this tiny rubber band should provide the best of both worlds. I just don't see how my rope could hang up on it. The rubber band is just too delicate. I will find out soon enough.

By the way, I am still a believer in the rope release. Rope release vs. mechanical release is an emotionally charged topic among trickers.

No comments: