Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Why the hell...

is a short cut that starts on the same side of the wake as the ramp called a single, when a longer cut in which the skier crosses the wakes called a three-quarter cut? Last time I checked, .75 < 1.

Observe:

A "three-quarter" cut
three-quarters

A "single" cut
single wake


The "single" looks more like a half-cut.
The "three-quarter" looks more like half of a double cut. Half of a double is a, what's it called, oh yeah, a single.

Go figure

*By the way, I must credit Libby, my wife, with the idea for this post. Every time I mention jumping and she is within earshot, she tells me that these two cuts are misnamed.

6 comments:

Rowboat Abides said...

your mspaint skillz are unmatched. bow in the presence of greatness.

Libby said...

When I heard that I was going to get a Casey Kasem-esque "request and dedication" blog post, I had no idea it was going to include top notch graphics.

But it totally doesn't make any sense. Ya know? Isn't somebody going to try to describe this insanity to me...

Eric said...

Singe = Crossing only 1 wake, a single wake.

3/4 = I don't know? Is is 3/4 of what the pros do when they cut at the ramp.

I usually do the no cut with the 3/4 spin off the top... meaning I land on my side, potentially breaking a rib. (I think I may have actually broken a rib last year, never went to get it check out though, didn't want them to tell me to stop.) Not fun for me, but the people in the boat are entertained.

Libby said...

Ok, so I"m looking at this again, trying to make sense of your graphics. And they don't make sense. Where's the boat? Are those spray paint lines the wake?

I'm going back to lawyering which is easier to comprehend.

Eric said...

The red square with the gray triangles top left is the jump, the 3 "spray paint lines" are the wakes and bubbles that converge at the boat, and the thin is the skiers path.

Excellent MS Paint picture!

Rowboat Abides said...

Hey, mr. rykert, send me an email to the greenboathouse@gmail.com please. i have a question for ya.